Fibroids are common growths that are found in or on the uterus and can grow to be large and quite painful. There is no clear cause of them, but family history and hormone issues are seen as contributing factors. Even though many women experience pain, some women have no noticeable symptoms. For women suffering from uterine fibroids, Newburgh, IN gynecologists, Dr. Basinski and Dr. Juran, can use a variety of medications and procedures to treat them.
The are several types of fibroids: intramural, pedunculated, subserosal, and submucosal, which are characterized by where they grow in relation to the uterus. These various fibroids can take on a number of symptoms, where the most common are heavy bleeding that occurs during or between your periods, painful menstrual cramping, prolonged periods, pelvic and/or lower back pain, painful sexual intercourse, and swelling or pressure in the lower abdomen.
Causes of Fibroids
Fibroids is another condition with an unknown cause, but there are several contributing factors:
- Hormones produced by the ovaries, estrogen and progesterone, are thought to initiate the growth of fibroids.
- During pregnancy, estrogen and progesterone increase in production, which may cause fibroids to develop and grow quickly.
- If you have a family history of fibroids, you have an increased chance of getting them.
To treat fibroids, your doctor might:
- Prescribe medications to shrink the fibroids. Some cause female hormones to decrease in order to stop menstruation. Intrauterine devices can also be implanted to help relieve symptoms like heavy bleeding and pain. Birth control pills are often used to alleviate symptoms.
- Use minimally invasive procedures to destroy fibroids such as ultrasound surgery, where sound waves are used to target the fibroid. Lasers, freezing, and endometrial ablation are also used.
- Perform surgery to remove multiple or very large fibroids. An incision is made on the stomach in order to gain access to the uterus to remove the growths. For severe cases, a hysterectomy is performed to remove the uterus.
Learn More About Fibroids
Fibroids can cause a lot of pain, discomfort, and anxiety to a woman, so it’s beneficial to see a doctor right away to get treated. Our highly trained gynecologists will determine which type of fibroid you have and develop a customized treatment plan to address your specific condition and needs. For more information on how we can treat your uterine fibroids, give us a call to set an appointment.
"Compassionate quality care. Knowledgeable staff. I had three procedures done with Dr. Bazinski. She is wonderful, she made me feel comfortable. Everything was explained before my procedure. She answered all my questions and was there for continued support."- Anonymous / RateMDs / Mar 18, 2017
"I love dr Juran and she has always been so kind and comforting. She helped me through a procedure that has changed my life for the better. I am so thankful for her"- M. / Wellness / Aug 01, 2017
"Saw Dr. Juran for the first time today and she is literally one of the nicest people I've ever met. I walked in completely uncomfortable and anxious and walked out feeling so much calmer and like my doctor really cared about me!!"- Y. / Wellness / Jun 29, 2017
"I moved her from NJ and found Dr. Juran and I am so glad I did. She is an extremely knowledgeable Doctor who listens to what you have to say and helps you make the best decision for your circumstances. Before and after my surgery, she was attentive and checked up on me periodically. Not only is she a great Doctor, but she is a sweet woman. The staff is great as well. I will continue to be seen by her and look forward to my visits."- K.T. / Wellness / Jun 19, 2017
"I have been seeing Dr. Juran for a year now after being referred to her office by 2 friends at work. I was having some major issues that had gone on for quite some time. I had seen another GYN and was so unhappy with every aspect of my treatment that I was ready to just 'live with it'. After calling Dr. Jurans office and explaining my situation they got me in to the office the very next day. After my exam we discussed options and chose a course of action. Dr. Juran told me not to worry, that she was going to have me better and she was right! She did not need 6 months of 'let's try this' or a half dozen consultations. She knew right away I needed help and she hopped to it! I have never felt better in my life and I have her to thank for it. I truly feel like she saved my life. I highly recommend this kind caring woman to anyone needing a GYN."- J. / Wellness / Jun 19, 2017
Plan Your Procedure
- Procedure Recovery Location