Meet Dr. Basinski@headingTag>
While I am involved in many aspects of healthcare, the most important and satisfying part of my profession is the one-on-one relationship I have with my patients. All of my endeavors in medicine have one ultimate goal, to provide each of my patients with the most up-to-date, safe, high quality medicine to improve your health. I care very deeply about each of my patients and want you to be the very best you. If I have the privilege of caring for you, I will take every effort to find a solution for your healthcare problems to keep you healthy.
As I began my path as a physician in 1991 at the Indiana School of Medicine, there was a lot of excitement and trepidation. Today, I cherish the relationships built with my patients and feel privileged to be a part of the some of the most important moments and decisions in their lives. I certainly look forward to getting to know you and discovering how to improve your health. However, choosing a doctor is a big decision, and you may want to know a little more about me. (At the bottom of this page I have included my resume that highlights my career for you to review.)
- As of 2016, Dr. Basinski has been caring for the women of Evansville for 17 years. Prior to moving to the Evansville area, she attended Purdue University where she received her degree in Biomedical Engineering and then attended Medical School at IU. She spent one year in General Surgery developing a strong surgical foundation at Indiana University prior moving into an OB/GYN residency at Methodist Hospital in Indianapolis. While at Methodist Hospital, she had the great opportunity to be mentored by Drs. Tom Benson and Doug Hale. Dr. Benson started the first UroGYN fellowship and Dr. Hale was the past president of the UroGYN society. She spent time in research in UroGYN and worked side-by-side with many of the leading thinkers in this area of medicine. As a result, UroGYN has been a focus of her practice for 21 years. She was board certified in OB/GYN in 2002 and in 2013 a new board certification was offered in UroGYN and she became board certified in this inaugural group of physicians caring for women’s pelvic floor disorders such as prolapse and incontinence.
- In 2006, she became keenly involved with moving GYN procedures to the office setting to save patients healthcare costs. She was the first physician in Southern Indiana and one of the first nationwide to offer a wide variety of in-office hysteroscopic procedures such as endometrial ablation, hysteroscopic sterilization, fibroid removal, and diagnostic hysteroscopy. As of 2016, she has become the most experienced physician in the US performing in-office procedures having performed nearly 3000 in-office endometrial ablations such as NovaSure and 1100 hysteroscopic sterilization procedures such as Essure. As a result, she has been recognized as an international thought leader in this area of medicine. Dr. Basinski has been a member and chairwoman for several national and international panels on in-office hysteroscopic procedures. In addition, Dr. Basinski is often requested to speak nationally educating physicians about safe, appropriate, and cost-effective in-office procedures.
- For the past 21 years, Dr. Basinski has been very interested in innovative surgical techniques to improve patient outcomes. She has been performing minimally invasive laparoscopic surgical techniques since starting her career in 1999. She is very experienced in vaginal, laparoscopic, or Robotic techniques to approach GYN surgery. Through 21 years of surgical dedication, Dr. Basinski can offer a minimally invasive approach for greater than 99% of her patients. In fact, in the past 2 years, despite large uteri, many previous surgeries with extensive scarring, many previous c-sections, or obesity, 100% of patients successfully received a minimally invasive surgery being able to leave the hospital within 24 hours. Because Dr. Basinski only practices GYN medicine, she routinely performs approximately 150 hysterectomies per year. This is well above the national average of 10 hysterectomies per year for the average OB/GYN.
- Dr. Basinski has been very involved with clinical research and published several papers. She has been the Primary Investigator for several FDA clinical research trials performed in the United States and internationally. In addition, she works with several international companies to improve longstanding technologies and assist in developing or identifying new technologies that may advance healthcare for women. Her engineering background in conjunction with her surgical experience has been a benefit to assist in these areas of medicine.
- Dr. Basinski is very interested in education. She has been involved for many years in educating her fellow OB/GYN physicians across the country in forums such as dinner learning sessions, multi-day seminars, annual society meetings, and proctorships in her office. For many years, she has been involved with teaching medical, nursing, physician assistant, and college students about the field of OB/GYN. Most recently, she has become a teaching faculty member of the Indiana School of Medicine, where she and her partner proctor OB/GYN residents, GYN surgical fellows, and Family Practice residents. Dr. Basinski feels a commitment to education is the best way to improve healthcare for women.
- Finally, Dr. Basinski is very concerned about the cost of healthcare and has worked in Washington DC, with major insurance carriers, and in her practice to decrease costs to patients. She has lectured on the good and bad effects of the Affordable Care Act on the healthcare system and spends considerable time helping patients, students, fellow physicians, politicians, and healthcare organizations understand the costs of medicine. She has served local, state, national organizations such as the Indiana State Medical Association to improve cost and quality of healthcare. She has been to Washington DC to speak with the Centers for Medicaid and Medicare to encourage payment for innovative medical procedures that will improve health at lower costs. She has been involved with national organization such as the FDA, AMA, and CMS to better understand good and bad technologies available on the marketplace.
Education & Honors@headingTag>
POST GRADUATE EDUCATION
Obstetrics/Gynecology, Methodist Hospital
General Surgery (Categorical), Indiana University Medical Center
Board Certification: Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery, 2013-current,
American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology
Obstetrics and Gynecology, 2002-current, American Board of Obstetrics
MEDICAL/ UNDERGRADUATE EDUCATION
Medicinae Doctor, Indiana University School of Medicine
August 1991-May 1995
Barney G. Crowe Academic Scholarship
Dr. Nancy A. Roeske Academic Scholarship
Honors Research Program in General Surgery
Fundraising Association of Indiana University School of Medicine Capital
American Medical Student Association Liaison to Washington D.C. Affairs
BioMechanical Engineering, Bachelor of Science, Purdue University
West Lafayette, Indiana
August, 1987-May 1991
Tau Beta Pi National Engineering Honor Society Inductee
FDA Clinical Research@headingTag>
Channel Medical Systems, Inc, Primary Investigator,
Hologic, Inc, Primary Investigator, Evaluation of the Safety of NovaSure in the Presence of Essure
Following the Essure Confirmation Test (ECT) Post-Approval Study, 2015-current
AEGEA, LLC, Primary Investigator, SE-3000: A Prospective, Multicenter, Clinical Trial to Evaluate the
Safety and Effectiveness of the AEGEA Vapor System for the Treatment of Excessive
Uterine Bleeding, 2013-current
Bayer Healthcare, LLC, Primary Investigator, A Multi-Center, Multi-National Clinical Study to
Evaluate the Safety and Effectiveness of the Essure® (Model ESS505) Device to
Prevent Pregnancy in Women Who Are Seeking Permanent Contraception, 2013-
Minerva Surgical, Inc, Primary Investigator, A Minerva Pivotal Study, 2013-current
Bayer Healthcare, LLC, Primary Investigator, A Study to Evaluate the Effectiveness of Essure Post- NovaSure Radiofrequency Endometrial Ablation Procedure Following a Successful Essure Confirmation Test (Essure-NovaSure PAS), 2012-current
American Medical Systems, Inc, Subinvestigator, Post Market Evaluation of Mini-Arc Transvaginal
- Volunteer Faculty at Indiana University School of Medicine-Faculty Preceptor
- Fellow of the American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Fellow of the American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 2002-current
- Fellow of the American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopist, 2009-current
- Fellow of the American Urogynecologic Society
- Volunteer Faculty at Indiana University and School of Medicine, 2015-current
- Volunteer Preceptor for University of Evansville Allied Health Professionals, 2013-current
- Volunteer Preceptor for University of Southern Indiana Allied Health Professionals, 2013-2014
- Chairwoman of Bayer International Physician Panel on Contraception, 2015
- Bayer International Physician Panel Member on Contraception, 2014
- Hologic International Physician Panel Member on Women’s Healthcare, 2014-2015
- Bayer Physician’s Consultancy Network, 2105-present
- Member of Women’s Healthcare Coalition to the Centers for Medicaid and Medicare, 2010, 2015
- Food and Drug Administration Panel Meeting Presenter, 2015
- Bayer Healthcare Inc, Trainer/Preceptor, Speaker, Consultant, 2012-current
- Hologic LLC, National Trainer/Preceptor, Speaker, Consultant, 2007-2009, 2012-current
- Zeltiq, Inc., Coolsculpting, Consultant 2014-current
- Stifel Financial Corporation, Consultant, 2013
- Ethicon Women’s Health Consultant 2011-2012
- Boston Scientific National Trainer/Preceptor, 2007–2009
- Conceptus National Trainer/Preceptor, 2007- 2012
- Conceptus Physicians Advisory Board Member, 2000 – 2012
- ACOG SCOPE Committee Member 2011-2012
- Indiana State Medical Association Delegate, 2007-current
- Board Member of Vanderburgh County Medical Society, 1999-current
- President of Vanderburgh County Medical Society, 2011-current
- Pro Assurance Company, Medical Executive Board Member, 2003-2014
- Paid Legal Consultant for Expert Witness for Plaintiff and Defense, 2003-current
- Medical Executive Committee, Evansville Surgery Center, 2008-current
- Medical Executive Committee, Saint Mary’s Medical Center, 2004-2006
- Chairman of OBGYN Department, Saint Mary’s Medical Center, 2004-2006
Publications and Lectures@headingTag>
- Basinski, CM, Bradley, L. Essure®: Patient Education, Identification, and Counseling. Contemporary OBGYN. Pending Publication.
- Basinski, CM. NovaSure®Radiofrequency Ablation: 13 Years of Data, Experience, and Patient Outcomes. Contemporary OBGYN. 2016.
- Basinski, CM, Juran RS, Fein A. Essure® Sterilization: Experience and Outcomes with 1024 Patients in a Solo Practice Over 8 Years. Journal of Gynecologic Surgery. 2015. Accepted for publication.
- Miller JD, Lenhart GM, Bonafede MM, Basinski CM, Lukes AS, Troeger KA. Cost effectiveness of endometrial ablation with the NovaSure system versus other global ablation modalities and hysterectomy for treatment of abnormal uterine bleeding: US commercial and Medicaid payer perspectives. Int. J Womens Health. 2015. Volume 2015:7.
- Cindy M. Basinski, Pamela Price, Jamie Burkhart, Jamie Johnson. Safety and Effectiveness of NovaSure Endometrial Ablation After Placement of Essure Micro-Inserts. Journal of Gynecologic Surgery. 2012. Volume 28, Number, 2012.
- Cindy M. Basinski. A Review of Clinical Data for Currently Approved Hysteroscopic Sterilization Procedures. Reviews in Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2010. Volume 3;3:101-110.
- Cindy M. Basinski, Thomas Benson, Elizabeth McClellan. Sacral Reflexes. Urology and Urodynamics. 2002.
- Thomas J. Howard, Cindy L. Maiden. Surgical Treatment of Obstructive Pancreatitis. Surgery. 1995. Volume 118;4:727-735.
- Essure Confirmation Test with Transvaginal Ultrasound. Planned Parenthood National Meeting and Regional Bayer Meetings, 2015, 2016.
- Reaching OBGYNs. Zeltiq National Sales Meeting Presentation. Orlando, FL. 2016
- Essure Clinical Overview. Regional Meetings. 2015
- Vaginal Mesh…Why the Controversy. Grand Rounds, St. Mary’s Hospital, Evansville, IN. 2015
- Patient Identificaiton and Counseling: Optimizing the Patient Experience. Regional Meetings. 2015.
- NovaSure Endometrial Ablation: 2 Million Patients, 10 Years of Data. Webnar Meeting. 2015.
- Creating an In-Office Ablation Program. American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopist Meeting. 2015
- The Affordable Care Act: Ignoring It Won’t Make It Go Away. Hologic National Sales Meeting in Orlando, FL and Grand Rounds at St. Mary’s Hospital Evansville, In. 2014.
- Patient Education of In-Office Essure. Conceptus Summits and National Sales Meetings. 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012.
- Cindy L. Maiden, Robert Goulet. Evaluation of a Preclinical Program for Breast Cancer Screening. The American Surgical Association. 1996.